Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Eve to Remember

Our Christmas Eve started out very calm and quiet. We spent the morning at home relaxing in our PJ’s and preparing the food and house for the Christmas Eve family gathering. Mom and dad came over a little early to get their food ready. While we were in the kitchen, Ava came running in from the living room crying and pointing to her nose. She continued to cry and say “nose” so I looked up in it and thought I saw a booger so I got a Kleenex to squeeze it out and she screamed when I did. We couldn’t figure out what was going on and then dad suggested that maybe she had put something up her nose so we got a flashlight so we could get a better look and sure enough there was shiny bead off of a gift bag in there. Justin and I both tried to get it out with tweezers but neither of us had any luck and only seemed to push it further up in there. We decided we better get her to the walk in clinic to see if they could remove it. We stopped at Dr J’s and they had just closed the door so I continued to knock and they finally came to the door and informed us they couldn’t take her, I pleaded and even cried and they said sorry even if we weren’t closed we can’t remove something from her nose, you’ll have to go to the ER. We decided to try one more walk in first and sure enough got the same exact answer so off we went to ARMC’s ER fearing we would walk into an ER packed with all kinds of sick people. Thankfully we walked into a completely empty ER. They got us back immediately to go through the admission process. Ava did not like all the poking and prodding and that was before any of the actual removal process had even begun. In fact at one point she looked up at my mom and said “I fine, I fine” as if to say I’m fine let’s just go home now. Once they got her admitted it was only a matter of minutes before the nurse and doctor came in. The worst part of it all was when they swaddled her arms down in a blanket and I had to hold her down while they pulled the bead out. Of course she screamed through it all but within minutes was calmed down and happy again although she was very ready to get out of that place and so was I. I was so grateful we didn’t have to spend hours in the ER as I had expected. In fact we still got home in time to get everything ready before all our family got there and the festivities began.

It was great to have all of our family together and that was my favorite part of the evening, at one moment I looked around the room and saw all of our family there with us and what joy it brought to me just to eat, laugh and celebrate with them all! We ate our traditional Mexican food dinner of tamales, dad’s famous guacamole, pinwheels, pork tacos and one of our family favorites, cherry yum yum! After we ate, Papa read a sweet Christmas story called Little Star and then we let the kids pass out the gifts. They had a blast of course and all got lots of goodies. Ava got lots of fun dress up clothes- tutus, dress up shoes, ballet shoes, leotard. She also got a puppy with blanket and some sweet pictures from her cousins. Nana and Pop bought her a set of baby chicks for a family in India, I loved this. Justin got a mustache for everday of the week, I’m sure he is going to have all kinds of fun with those! After we opened gifts, the kids helped Ava sprinkle the food for the reindeer. Then we all bundled up and headed to Grandmother and Papa’s church for the Christmas Eve service. One of my favorite things about Christmas Eve will always be at the end of the service when the lights are turned off and we sing Silent Night by candlelight, it’s always been such a magical, beautiful and peaceful moment in the midst of an otherwise busy evening. We got home late and I can’t believe Ava was still awake, the three of us opened up our new Christmas PJ’s and put out cookies and milk for Santa.






































No comments: