Saturday, June 7, 2008

Our 1st Appointment

I decided to start this separate blog just for our personal stuff instead of cluttering the cupcake blog with it. Instead of sending out email updates on our IVF cycle I decided to use the blog to give updates. I think writing about it all is sort of theraupeutic for me and I know lots of people want to know what is going on. You will quickly learn I am not a private or modest person so you may read more than you want to here- just warning you! Okay so we had our first appointment of this IVF cycle on Tuesday. The appointment was for an endometrial biopsy which is the procedure that was so painful that last time it caused me to pass out, scare Justin with my strange growling noises and nearly kick the doctor in the head all while unconscious. Needless to say I was pretty nervous about having to endure this again. The doctor is basically using a small tube to scrape out some of the lining of the uterus- doesn't sound very fun does it? Well this time I begged for drugs and thought I was going to get the good stuff but it seems when they gave me the good stuff for the egg retrieval last time it took me 5 hours to wake up so they decided to just give me valuum. Well that barely even phased me. Before we started the procedure the doctor and nurse jokingly said they would go and get their helmets. So Justin held both of my hands while she performed the procedure. I made it through without fainting or kicking anyone this time. However I did scream at the top of my lungs twice and then proceeded to beg and plead the doctor to stop. Just as I did she said okay we are done. While I was a little embarassed at all of the screaming I did I was also proud of myself for not fainting. When I went up front to check out the receptionist had a sheepish grin on her face and I said you could hear me screaming couldn't you. She very sweetly laughed and said oh it's okay honey. Now none of this was funny at the time but I have to tell you we have shared several laughs over this incident since then. I remember calling my mom after this procedure the first time and she was laughing so hard she nearly cried and when I called her Tuesday to tell her about this time I think I had her crying (not sad tears) again. Who ever knew this process could be so humorous?

Last night I started doing some research on things you can do to increase the likelihood of success in IVF and I found a lot of good information. Acupuncture was mentioned repeatedly so me the girl with the needle phobe is going to give it a go. I figure the more we can do to increase our chances of success the better. I also learned that my strenuous exercise habits probably haven't been helping things either. I read on several different sites that women who excercise more than 4 hours in a week decrease their chance of success in IVF by 40%. I also read that a high protein, high fat diet can help you produce higher quality eggs and sugar, carbs and caffeine should be avoided. So there you go I now have an excuse to eat bacon and steak everyday and come home and sit on the couch and catch up on all my favorite shows at night! No but really I think I will cut back on my exercise and look for less strenuous forms of exercise and give the diet a go as well. It is amazing how many things can impact your fertility. I feel like researching this stuff could be a full time job. If anyone out there has any pointers I'm open to trying just about anything.

So what's next you say? Well I stay on birth control for another couple of weeks and then we go back to Lubbock on the 16th so they can check to be sure I don't have any cysts. If I'm clear then I go off the pill and will start taking my shots that week. Oh boy I do love those shots! Well I guess that is all I have to say about all of that for now. Please do continue to pray for us as we travel and wait to see what happens. Keep checking here for the latest in the baby Jarrett journey.

No comments: