Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Lots of Needles

Well I have heard from a couple of people that they were disappointed to find that I had not posted an update after our appointment yesterday so hear it is. We made the exciting drive to Lubbock yesterday. The nurse did a sonogram and found that I have no cysts so we can proceed as planned. Yeah! She also went ahead and did bloodwork and went over meds so we could save a tank of gas and not have to go back again Thursday. Our next appointment will be next Tuesday. I stopped taking birth control yesterday and took my first shot and I don't have to take anymore until Saturday which is when I'll begin the fun 3 shots a night. Actually Justin got to be quite the pro at giving me shots and by the end they really weren't too painful at all. I have also decided that to reward myself each evening after my shots I will end the night with a relaxing bubble bath. I went to the store tonight and picked out some new bubble bath scents after we took my nephew to see the movie Kung Fu Panda. I'm pretty sure it was the first movie he has ever sat all the way through in a theater. He was so funny- he hasn't quite learned that you don't talk when you are at the movies.

Today was another day of needles. Justin and I experienced our first acupuncture sessions today. I have to say I was a little nervous about the whole thing seeing as how in the past needles have had a tendency to make me faint however I did survive all those shots and blood draws in our last round of IVF so I figured I would be okay. I would say the consensus is that it is generally a painless procedure. There were a few spots that were a little more tender than others but overall it was not painful. I had my session first so Justin got to come in and see me looking like a giant pin cushion. He didn't get the full effect though because I was covered in a giant piece of foil which is referred to as a space blanket. It was actually very warm. The acupuncturist was a really neat woman who has seen dramatic benefits of acupuncture in herself as well as in a few of her family members. I had no idea how many different symptoms acupuncture can help relieve. By the end of the session I definitely felt much more relaxed and had a hard time even taking notes in a meeting when I returned to work this afternoon. Beverly said we often confuse being tired with being relaxed because so many of us don't know how to relax. I think I was definitely relaxed when I left. If you've ever considered it or even if you haven't you really ought to give it a try. If the needle phobe can do it I think anyone can.

Tonight we ended the night with a walk through the neighborhood. I love walking in our neighborhood. We almost always see someone out in their yard or out walking that we know. I love to look at all of the pretty landscaping and houses. It is such a nice way to end the day. It is nice to walk together too. A lot of the times I'll walk with girlfriends but the last two nights Justin and I have walked together and it is nice to get that time away together enjoying being outside and getting a little exercise. I am really enjoying slowing down a little and taking it a little easier on myself both physically and mentally. I just really feel like I'm right where I need to be right now and I'm enjoying that feeling and the peace that comes with it. This week you can be praying for continued peace and rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aubrey- I just wanted to say Hello to you and Justin. I know that it has been a while but I have been keeping tabs on you through Marla. I think that your Baby Cakes business is adorable and really neat. You are greatly missed here in Denton, TX. I just wanted you to know that you are in all my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong. Love ya- Lisa Arrington (one of your old Peterbilt friends)