Friday, May 18, 2012

She is 3 Right?

Ava Kate keeps us entertained with the funny and often grown up things she says and does. I had to share a few highlights from the last week or two. A couple of weeks ago we were at Whataburger for breakfast after church with my parents and nephews. The guy that comes around and offers condiments looked at me and smiled and said “I like your dress.” My nephew Keller looked at me with this funny smirk on his face and after the guy walked away said “He likes you” with a giggle and then suddenly Ava Kate shouts “AAWWKKWARD!!!” Oh my gosh, is she 3 or is she 13? We all burst out laughing of course and thankfully the sweet guy had walked on and didn’t hear either of them. Ava Kate received a special child award along with all the other preschoolers at her school during Young Childrens Week. The award had a place that said I know I’m special because ….and Mrs. Linda said Ava Kate didn’t skip a beat when she asked her that question and that her response was “because my mommy tells me I’m special!” Oh sweet girl, yes indeed you are so very special and it makes mommy so happy to know that you know how special we think you are! So let me follow that proud mama moment up with a not so proud moment. Ava Kate’s class was leading chapel yesterday at school and they have been practicing their songs for months now. I have been looking forward to going to see her perform but I ended up having a meeting in the middle of it so Justin went and recorded it for me. He told me she got upset in the third song though and he had to hold her. So when I got home yesterday I asked her how her singing at school went yesterday and she replied, “um good but I was crying.” I told her I had heard that and asked why she was upset. She quickly replied, “Because I wanted my mommy to be there!” Gulp! And I thought she wouldn’t even notice I didn’t get to make it. Of course all evening I felt terrible about it and so I was putting her to bed last night and I said “I’m so sorry I missed your singing today, mommy really wanted to be there.” She looked me right in the eyes and said “It’s okay mama, you had to be at work.” Tear! You can bet I’ll do my best not to miss another performance! Another teary moment last night although a bit happier one. Jett was fussing in his crib so I reached for the video monitor to make sure he was okay and when I did I saw this sweet little hand reaching in his crib and patting his back! Oh my gosh, talk about melting me! Precious big sister looking in on her baby brother!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about Haylee sometimes...we have got to get those girls together soon!

Today Haylee used the word "vigorous" and we were like where did she hear that!

I guess our private school educations are paying off for our girls vocab!