Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas...

I have had this song stuck in my head. I love this time of year more than any other time of year. This is when my very sentimental and somewhat cheesy side comes out. My mom created lots of sweet traditions for us when we were growing up and I have continued most of them since Justin and I got married. It has been so exciting to me this year to think about how next year our Ava Kate will be here to be a part of those traditions and I'm sure I'll have some new ones I create just for her. Some of my favorite Christmas traditions are every year my mother has given me an ornament and so now my tree is a collection of memories. Pulling each ornament out of the box and putting it on the tree brings back memories of years past. Justin and I now do the same for each other and so I also have special memories of past Christmases with him. I already bought Ava Kate's first ornament- a glass bird. Since her name means "like a bird" and her nursery has lots of birds and nests in it I thought nothing would be more fitting than a bird ornament. It was the first ornament to be hung on the tree. Another favorite tradition is tree night. This is the night we put up the Christmas tree and decorate it. Growing up we would go pick out a fresh Christmas tree and usually have some yummy snack foods and hot chocolate while we decorated the tree. In the background Christmas music was playing or else a Christmas movie was on. This is another tradition I have carried on. Sunday Justin and I decorated all of the house and got the tree set up. We got lots of yummy snack foods and watched Elf with all the lights off except for the lights of the tree. We also had a tradition on Christmas morning. Natalie and I could not get out of the bed until we heard the Bing Crosby record playing White Christmas. I can't wait to continue this tradition with Ava Kate although instead of a record I'm sure we'll use the ipod. If any of you have favorite family traditions I would love to hear about them.
I have always loved the classic look of white Christmas lights. I love pulling up to the house and seeing the beautiful glow of the lights.
My nativity is one of my favorite parts of our Christmas decorations. I love putting it out every year and remembering the wonderful story of our savior's birth.
The stockings are hung on the bookshelves- no chimney in this house!
Our sentimental tree! It is not beautiful and themed but all the memories it holds make it so special!
My sweet little bird's first ornament!
The ornament I got at the Nutcracker Ballet my mom and I went to when we lived in Denton. The Nutcracker Ballet is another one of my favorite things about Christmas and definately a tradition I'll start with Ava Kate.
The ornament our dear friend Randy gave to me when I was a little girl. Randy passed away when I was in eighth grade but she has always been a very special person to me!
The ornament we bought the year we went to New York right after Christmas and during New Years. It was such a romantic trip and a wonderful place to be at Christmas time. It will always be one of my favorite memories with Justin.
The ornament Justin gave me our first Christmas together. It has always been my favorite one he ever gave me- so sweet and romantic.
One of the first ornaments my mom ever gave me and look it is a bird. It is barely held together and has to be gently propped on a branch because the hook fell out of it but it has always been one of my favorites.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your house looks so pretty and festive and I also love Ava Kate's nursery. It is coming along beautifully. I know what it feels like to be in the "nesting" stage! It will all get done, don't worry. And your belly is looking oh so cute. You are staying so tiny!
Can't believe she will be here in 3 months.
Love yall,
Steph